NAMI Miami-Dade Family Support Groups
NAMI Miami-Dade Family Support Groups (FSG) are a free, confidential, and safe family-peer-led support group for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. NAMI’s Support Groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Free of cost to participants
- Designed for adult loved ones (18+) of individuals living with mental illness
- Led by family members of individuals living with mental illness
- No specific medical therapy or medication is endorsed or recommended
If you are not a family member of someone with a history of mental illness, please do not attend. Observers are not permitted.
All Support Groups have moved to online. See the flyer below for the virtual group meetings and times. Click the flyer to access the Zoom link.
Interested in becoming a group leader? Click here
Join a FSG Near You
Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances by attending a FSG in either English or Spanish at any of the following NAMI Miami-Dade locations:
Download a list of all of our family support groups here: Updated FSG
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through others experiences, discover your inner strength and learn now to identify local resources and how to use them.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
What People are Saying
“Using the NAMI support group model is so essential to the success of our family support groups. As a group, the collective wisdom covered a lot of possibilities.”
“The most beneficial thing for me was that I am not alone. I found the NAMI Family Support Group at the time I really needed it!